It’s all about marketing isn’t it?
Not much progress book wise. I need to work on the cover. Lighten it up so that the big dog can be seen. Looks fine digitally but much too dark with the actual print version.
Waiting for the final proofing of book and then will send away for another print proof. May try selecting a glossy cover and see if I like that.
Still in a muddle a bit as far as book goes. I am on day 88 – two more days and that will be 90 days of doing this blog. I seen zero results with it – wondering if in fact instead of helping me it is taking up time I should be doing other things? Very good question.
Two days later:
On Wednesday received an email from the place I sent to have my book professionally reviewed. Said the book is not ready for review. Suggested strongly that I have a line-by-line edit done first. So having that done. Will cost me $521.00. So add that to my running tally and this book is getting darn expensive. But I want the book to be the best it can be as it is the foundation for becoming a children’s book writer. If this is what it takes then as much as I possibly can. I’m doing it.
Here is a list of some of the things the reviewer spotted.
- There are a number of clumsy paragraphs that need re-writing e.g. On Page 14: Easily the biggest tree in the area though as many times as he had taken hikes before he had never noticed it. This need re-writing.
- A strong tendency to overuse the exclamation mark. There are 318 of them in the book and a vast majority of them need to be removed.
- The pacing in Chapter 1 needs a lot of work. For example, when Michael is trying to persuade Emma to enter the cave. This drags on for way too long.
- The odd tense mix up.
- On Page 4 Nope, not a bat dropping inside should read Nope, not a bat dropping in sight.
- Repetition: Page 1 Michael was starting to regret having told Emma about the cave. He should have just kept it to himself and explored it on his own. Then on Page 7 He should never have told Emma about the cave. He should have just gone in on his own and checked the thing out.
- On Page 8, dime shaped mark should read dime-shaped mark.
- Page 8 There was no use going forward when he couldn’t see was there? This needs re-wording.
- Page 13. After all families with kids had been… This needs a comma to work: After all, families…
- On Page 13 There’s an ‘as’ followed by another ‘as’.
As you can see it definitely needs this edit! (And yes, I do have a tendency to throw in !!!! at every opportunity. Good call!)
On a more saner note I am moving to getting a job. I signed up for a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) class. It is I hope a good move to getting a bit better job and perhaps one with medical benefits. If I was a bit younger I maybe would go all the way and become a nurse. Who knows – maybe I still will. One never knows. I put age limits on myself for doing things and it’s not always good. At any rate I have started the course and it seems very doable. Very glad I already have experience in this field or it might not seem that way.
I am glad I have decided not to make this A Year With John Kremer thing a do or die thing. Will get in the 365 days but might take me two years instead of one to do it. My goal, I am allowed to adjust.
Twitter: 1,424 +1